Monday, September 7, 2015

w. 37


Thurdsday, 10 September

**Please read all instructions for the current assignment you are working on. There are three documents with instructions:

1 - The instructions for the assignment as a whole. This starts with the goals for the project, and it let's you know that you start by reading your whole section and summarizing the main ideas. In order to do this, you must take notes. And when you take notes, do not use all of the book's words. Use your own words. It is quite okay that your explanations and discussions are not as well phrased as the book's. You're in the process of learning.

2 - There's a document that shows who has been assigned to each section and what the questions are for each section. It also says what the pages the section is on, as well as what pages the questions are on. And there is a list of terms for each section that should be learned for that section. There are most likely many other terms that you will need to work with too, but I want you to give particular attention to these terms. Note: understanding a term means that you can explain it -- not just that you understand it when someone else uses it.

You will write your answers in a Word or Pages document, and then later paste these answers into the Google Doc for the Section Questions.

3 - There is a document with instructions for the "Processes of Change" table. Again, you will write and save your answers in a Word or Pages file and then paste them into the Google Docs "Processes of Change" Table.

There are even instructions at the top of the Google Docs files. Please read those too. For example, your name should be at the bottom of each entry you put into the Google Docs.

I noted that everyone needs to become familiar with the terms
literate
illiterate
literacy
illiteracy

***
Here's a tip for working on mastering information: Have a real or pretend conversation and explain orally the idea you're trying to communicate. Without looking at any written information, can you explain the idea? If you can't, you still don't understand it. Don't worry if your answer isn't elegant. You can start with a rough answer, and once you have that on paper, you can re-write it. But try to do this without the book's phrasings. You can even use the thesaurus (synonyms) in the dictionary that I had you put in your dock. If you need to use Swedish to help you formulate your ideas and then restate them in English, that might be a way to help you get some distance from the book's words.


***
At the end of class I shared the address for my other blog: boyerthinktank.blogspot.se
Here I share things that I've listened to, seen, read in the hopes of broadening your horizons. You'll find that there are subjects connected to all different things -- politics, psychology, economics, science, literature, humor, language, history . . .

***

English 

There is no direct equivalent to the Swedish expression "hur har du det" -- and all it's variations. 

You cannot say "I wonder how they had it during the Middle Ages." 

There are many different possible solutions, most of which involve thinking more specifically what it is you want to know about. So you could say:

"I wonder what it was like to live during the Middle Ages."

It is possible to ask how something was -- without the have or had: "How was the party last night?" But you can't throw in the have or had: "How did you have it last night?" 
 




Here's is a fantastic clip from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. If you want to see how a knowledge of history can be used to superb comic effect, you can hardly do better than Monty Python.
(Since there are no subtitles, I've added the text of the dialogue at the end of this entry.)

Monday, 7 September
Today we discussed a few elements regarding the course plan. Since the projector didn't work during Ek2's lesson, I'll put up some further info here.

This is from the Subject Plan for History:

Aim of the subject:
Teaching in the subject of history should aim at helping students broaden, deepen
and develop their historical consciousness through knowledge of the past, the ability
to use historical methods and an understanding of how history is used. Students
should thus be given the opportunity to develop their understanding of how different
interpretations and perspectives on the past influence our views of the present
and perceptions of the future.

Through teaching students should be given the opportunity to develop their historical
knowledge and the ability to use history as a frame of reference to understand
issues of importance in the present and the future, and to analyse historical processes
of change from different perspectives

With the current assignment, we're going to be focusing primarily of the following Core Contents:

The European classification of time periods from a chronological perspective. Prehistory, Ancient history, Antiquity, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment with some areas of specialization.
Different historical questions and explanations concerning long-term historical processes of change from a chronological perspective that reflect both continuity and change.

European Historical Periods
 I wrote out a timeline on the board stretching from 500 BC and the Roman Republic to the 19th century and Industrialization. As I noted in class, we will be working with the key elements of this timeline over and over throughout the entire course.

Processes of Change
We discussed example of process of change, included political process, technological processes, and economic processes. In the current project, you will be asked to think about political systems, religion, economics, and language. Later we'll be able to use this information to look at processes of change.

Assignment
The instructions as well as the section assignments have been uploaded onto Vklass. Let me know if there are problems with these files. Currently they are Word files (not pdf).

English 

I (jag) is always capitalized

informal words such as 'cause (instead of because), wanna, and gonna are not used in formal language.

therefore has an "e" on the end of it

border = gräns
boarder is not the same as border.  

*****
[clop clop]
ARTHUR: Old woman!
DENNIS: Man!
ARTHUR: Man, sorry. What knight live in that castle over there?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven -- I'm not old!
ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you 'Man'.
DENNIS: Well, you could say 'Dennis'.
ARTHUR: Well, I didn't know you were called Dennis.
DENNIS: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?
ARTHUR: I did say sorry about the old woman, but from the behind
you looked--
DENNIS: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior!
ARTHUR: Well, I AM king...
DENNIS: Oh king, eh, very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh? By
exploitin' the workers -- by 'angin' on to outdated imperialist dogma
which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our society!
If there's ever going to be any progress--
WOMAN: Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh -- how'd you do?
ARTHUR: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, King of the Britons.
Who's castle is that?
WOMAN: King of the who?
ARTHUR: The Britons.
WOMAN: Who are the Britons?
ARTHUR: Well, we all are. we're all Britons and I am your king.
WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous
collective.
DENNIS: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship.
A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
WOMAN: Oh there you go, bringing class into it again.
DENNIS: That's what it's all about if only people would--
ARTHUR: Please, please good people. I am in haste. Who lives
in that castle?
WOMAN: No one live there.
ARTHUR: Then who is your lord?
WOMAN: We don't have a lord.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarchosyndicalist commune. We take
it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.
ARTHUR: Yes.
DENNIS: But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified
at a special biweekly meeting.
ARTHUR: Yes, I see.
DENNIS: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,--
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--
ARTHUR: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
ARTHUR: I am your king!
WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.
WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,
[angels sing]
her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur
from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I,
Arthur was to carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is why I am your king!
DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords
is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives
from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power
just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just
because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that,
eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me, you saw
it didn't you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment