Thursday, September 17, 2015

w. 38


Thursday, 17 September

This lesson was the last one for working with the Section Questions and the entries in the "Processes of Change" table. Next week we will start with a new thing, where we'll use the information in these two Google docs.

If you did not manage to finish getting your answers pasted into the tables, you have until Monday 17:00 to finish. If the technology fails, send me your answers via Vklass and I'll paste them in.

Some things I have noticed:

-I keep talking with students about the Processes of Change entries who have not read what I wrote in the instructions on Vklass (and I don't just mean the questions). I understand that you may still have questions after reading the instructions, but you will likely be less confused and calmer if you read what I've written.

-You need to pay attention to spelling -- including capitalization. Words such as
Bible
Renaissance
Protestant Reformation
Englightenment
Middle Ages
Catholic
 are capitalized for a reason.  If you practice writing these correctly, you will learn which words need to be capitalized and you'll be able to build off of that practice. 

English

We worked quickly with the difference between "sh" and "ch" sounds. I noted that you can draw out the "sh" sound -- as in Shhhhh. But you cannot draw out the "ch" sound.

An exception: Cher's name sounds like "share" -- because the name comes from a French word, and in French, "ch" sounds like an English "sh." There are examples of other French words in English that fall into this exception category, for example: champagne, Charlemagne (leader of the Franks), Chablis.

Monday, 14 September

We spent the class working on the section quetsions and beginning with the "Processes of Change" table.

English

Sometimes when speaking with people, phrases such as "Nice to meet you" or "Have a good weekend" will get thrown at you quickly, and if you weren't ready for the conversation to go in that direction, it can sometimes be hard to pull up the phrases "Nice to meet you, too" or something similar.

In these situations, short phrases such as "Likewise" or "You too" can often work. 

There are certainly times where these phrases don't work. For example, if someone says "Have a nice trip" and they aren't also going on a trip, then the responses "Likewise" or "You too" won't work. But "Thank you" works very well in that situation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment